With the Christmas season upon us, here are a number of events the public can attend to make the holidays a happy time:
Friday, Dec. 2
• Home Spun Craft Bazaar at Slater Elementary School from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. The bazaar will feature local and regional craft items, and the proceeds will go toward the Slater fifth-graders’ field trip to the Diamond Craters and to the High Desert Museum in Bend.
Saturday, Dec. 3
• Catholic Church Christmas Bazaar at Holy Family Catholic Church, 685 N. Fairview in Burns.
• Home Spun Craft Bazaar at Slater Elementary School from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. The bazaar will feature local and regional craft items, and the proceeds will go toward the Slater fifth-graders’ field trip to the Diamond Craters and to the High Desert Museum in Bend.
Sunday, Dec. 4
• The Chamber Music Society of Harney County Christmas Concert at 3 p.m. at the Harney County Church of the Nazarene, 311 Roe Davis Ave. in Hines. The concert will feature local musicians performing in a bell choir, chorus, and orchestra. Admission is free, donations accepted. A reception will follow the concert. A shuttle service will also be available from Faith Baptist Church to the Church of the Nazarene starting about 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 8
• Holiday Concert by Burns High School (BHS) and Hines Middle School choirs at 7 p.m. in the BHS cafeteria. Free admission and complimentary hot cocoa when you bring your own mug.
Friday, Dec. 9
A holiday “Fun Friday” for kids in the fourth grade and up from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. at the Harney County Courthouse meeting room. Cost: $10
They will have three different crafts: making a Christmas wreath, a gift in a jar, and a rag ornament. Feel free to bring your own holiday decorations to incorporate into the crafts. Snacks will be provided. Contact the Harney County Extension Office by Dec. 5 to get registered, 541-573-2506.
Saturday, Dec. 10
• Annual Downtown Christmas Jamboree and Christmas Parade. Events include:
8 a.m.-10 a.m. Breakfast with Santa at Burns Elks Lodge
10 a.m.-2 p.m. Games at Martial Arts America
10 a.m.-2 p.m. Making crafts at Country Lane Quilts
10 a.m.-2 p.m. Face painting by Burns Christian Church at Children’s Barn
10 a.m.-4 p.m. Specialty vendors at Community Center
10 a.m.-4 p.m. Gingerbread house judging at Community Center, sponsored by Gourmet & Gadgets
10 a.m.-4 p.m. Ugly Sweater Contest at the Harney County Chamber of Commerce, sponsored by The Book Parlor
11 a.m.-2 p.m. Pictures with Santa at Ruthie’s
Noon-2 p.m. Candy cane toss at Arrowhead Plaza
2 p.m. Canned food movie at Desert Historic Theatre
2 p.m. Roaring Springs Ranch wagon rides at Arrowhead Plaza
5 p.m. Broadway Christmas Light Parade, sponsored by Umpqua Bank
5:30 p.m. Tree lighting and bonfire at the city of Burns Christmas tree across from Safeway
Sunday, Dec. 11
• Carols by Candlelight at 7 p.m. at the Harney County Church of the Nazarene, 311 Roe Davis Ave. in Hines.
Wednesday, Dec. 14
• Burns High School (BHS) and Hines Middle School band concert at 7 p.m. in the BHS cafeteria.
Saturday, Dec. 17
• Last Chance Craft Bazaar at Hines City Hall.